Welcome to CANADA!

New Ontario residents, what you need to know

If you are a new resident of Ontario and have a valid driver’s license from another

province or country, you can use that license for 60 days in Ontario. If you want

to continue to drive after 60 days, you must get an Ontario driver’s license.

License Exchange for Countries with Reciprocating Jurisdictions

Ontario has license-exchange agreements with every Canadian province and territory

(including Canadian Forces Europe). There are also agreements with Australia, Austria,

Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Japan, New Zealand,

Northern Ireland, Republic of Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United States.

Drivers will receive a full Class G license, provided they have an equivalent class license.


If you have fewer than two years of driving experience, you may get credit for your experience

and enter Level Two of the graduated licensing system. Once you have a total of two years of

driving experience, you may take the Level Two road test to earn full driving privileges.

License Exchange for Non-reciprocating Jurisdictions

All applicants for an Ontario driver’s license are required to present a valid foreign driver’s

license pass a vision test, a knowledge test, pay all applicable fees and provide acceptable proof

of identity.